- This event has passed.
Formal Rededication of St. Matthew’s Church & Graveyard
October 28 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
FORMAL REDEDICATION OF ST. MATTHEWS’S CHURCH & GRAVEYARD
St. Matthew’s Church in Irishtown has long played an active role in the Irishtown community. Erected between 1704-06; with a tower added later in 1713, it was at one stage called the Royal Chapel of St. Matthew until 1871 when the Church of Ireland became an independent church. It was used a lot by seafarers and fishermen at the time and the distinctive tower was used as a navigation point by sailors coming into Dublin as it was easily visible on the shore line. At the time the Church of Ireland used the church to do a lot of social work and provide employment for the people of Ringsend and Irishtown when they were two of the poorest parts of the Dublin suburbs.
In honour of St. Matthew’s wonderful architecture and magnificent history the Dockers & Demons Festival is delighted to host a formal rededication of St. Matthew’s Church & Graveyard.
This is a free community event open to all visitors.